Acacia Network Service Learning Facilitator/Instructor in Bronx, New York
We are the largestHispanic non-profit organization in New York, and the second-largest Hispanic non-profit in the country. We’ve been servicing communities since 1969, and we’ve helped thousands and thousands of people with healthcare, substance abuse treatment, home and hospice care, affordable housing, and more. Each year, we care for more than 181,000 children and 118,000 adults. That’s an average of about 3,200 families. And by hiring talented individuals like you, we’ve been able to expand quickly, with offices in Albany, Buffalo, Orlando, and Puerto Rico.
Under Acacia Network, Community Association of Progressive Dominicans (ACDP) is a highly respected organization providing services to residents of Northern Manhattan and the Bronx. ACDP’s programs are part of an integrated organizational whole. Together, the programs nurture and challenge individuals and community institutions. They bring people together by celebrating diversity and opposing all forms of stereotyping and discrimination.
Student service learning combines classroom instruction with community service to address community needs, growth and academic instruction in the area of career exploration.
Students take what they learn in the classroom and apply that knowledge to real-world problems in their communities. Service learning enhances the learning experience by:
- teaching critical thinking skills to solve complex problems in the context of real-world situations
- encouraging civic responsibility and community action
- promoting cooperation and teamwork
- building character
Service learning supplements reading, writing, and classroom discussions. It is also ideal for students who learn better by doing hands-on activities rather than simply sitting in a classroom.
The person selected for this position will be under the direct supervision of the Program Director and will be responsible for providing an appropriately safe, caring, and enriching environment for students/participants enrolled in the SYEM Summer Program. The Service Learning Facilitator is responsible for conducting themselves in an appropriate manner, setting the example for students/participants, parents, and co-workers by reflecting the ACDP core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility. The Service Learning Facilitator is responsible for complying with all standards set by ACDP.
- Under the guidance of the Director, the Service Learning Facilitator will administer Service Learning instruction to all participants and execute various administrative tasks.
- Assist the Director/Instructors with academic tutoring, administering tests, and grading.
- Work alongside the Director and other staff members with outreach and recruiting efforts.
- Help plan age appropriate activities and/or events.
- Instruct participants in the rules and regulations.
- Monitor participant’s behaviors and report to the Director.
- Daily communication with the Director.
- Accompany the Director, staff, and/or participants on various trips/outings/events.
- Attend various DYCD and/or ACDP/Acacia trainings and events as directed.
- Execute other tasks given by the Director.
- Facilitates programs and sessions through progressive, engaging delivery of content via multiple modalities including virtual and in-person instructor led training
- Supports and facilitates trainings including but not limited to orientation, on the job training, performance support, and assessment of youth career readiness
As a leader in the field of substance abuse services, Acacia Network promotes a drug free workplace.
Acacia Network is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity.
No employment services or agencies need respond.
- Teaching Certification, BA Degree from an accredited institution. College Grad or Grad Student
- Candidates that apply for this position must be familiar and have experience teaching or offering academic instruction for young adults 16-24 years of age
- Experience establishing and sustaining a leader-led culture through teaching or instruction
- Strategic thinking and creativity and flexibility in addressing challenges
- Excellent time and project management, critical/creative thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated classroom experience
- Excellent record keeping
- Strong technical capabilities
Location: Bronx, NY
Category: After School and Youth Programs
Job Type: Temporary/ Seasonal
Required Education: Bachelor (BA, BS...)