Rutgers University Senior Budget Analyst in New Brunswick, New Jersey
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766 and having celebrated a milestone 250th anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 67,000 students and 22,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Senior Budget Analyst for the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration. This position reports to the senior budget director.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Works as a generalist and is involved in all aspects of the office’s operations working daily with highly confidential and sensitive financial information.
- Supports the senior budget director and vice chancellor in developing and implementing RCM budgeting for New Brunswick, the flagship campus of Rutgers University.
- Responsible for the review and analysis of all university-wide cost centers, all New Brunswick-specific cost centers, and the campus’s responsibility centers.
- Prepares independent analysis of financial data and prepares financial documents and reports for internal purposes.
- Monitors, verifies, and reports the consolidation of month-end close, quarterly projection, and year-end statements; liaise with all responsibility centers and cost centers to analyze and substantiate results.
- Gathers budgetary data for modeling, projecting, forecasting, and planning; analyzes P&L; accounts; review and consolidate all salary improvement program implementations; and other special projects, with limited direction.
- Develops additional resources as necessary to better serve the campus in financial planning and resource allocation to ensure consistency with university policies and the campus strategic plan.
- Reconciles transactions and processing recurring journal entries to provide funding to campus-wide units in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Assists in the day-to-day business operations to ensure compliance of university policies and procedures and serves as a financial advisor for all units within New Brunswick which has total campus resources of over $1.7 billion in expenditures.
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field; or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience that demonstrates knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and practices (GAAP)
- Five years of experience in financial analysis, budgeting, or other relevant area
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have collaborative work style, excellent communication skills, and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, with advanced knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must possess excellent financial analytical skills, solid understanding of database structure and have the ability to manipulate complex data from multiple sources via advanced Excel formulas and macros.
- Strong work ethic and ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously; detail-oriented and highly organized
- Knowledge and experience with journal entries, financial statement preparation, and general accounting concepts
- Ability to work independently and to exercise confidentiality and discretion in the operational decision-making process
- Willingness to learn new systems and processes
- Master’s degree
- Experience working in a higher education environment
- Knowledge of Responsibility Center Management, Tableau, Oracle ERP Cloud, and Oracle Hyperion Planning software strongly preferred.
Recruitment/Posting Title: Senior Budget Analyst
Job Category: Staff & Executive - Finance/Accounting/Purchasing
Department: Chancellor - New Brunswick
Position Status: Full Time
Annual Minimum Salary: 72990.000
Annual Mid Range Salary: 92386.000
Annual Maximum Salary: 111782.000
Standard Hours: 37.50
Union Description: Administrators Confidential
Payroll Designation: PeopleSoft
Terms of Appointment: Staff - 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility: ABP
Posting Number: 18ST0909
Posting Open Date: 03/14/2018
Regional Campus: Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Home Location Campus: College Ave (RU-New Brunswick)