AMETEK, Inc. Applications Engineer - Machine Vision in Wayne, New Jersey
Applications Engineer - Machine Vision
Functional Area:Application Engineering
Position Type:Full-Time Regular
Experience Required:5 - 7 Years
Hours of Work:
Location:US - New Jersey - Wayne
Division:MMA - Materials Analysis Division
Education Required:Bachelors Degree
Email a FriendSaveSaveApply Now
Vision Research is a Business Unit in the Materials Analysis Division of AMETEK, Inc. Vision Research manufactures industry leading high-speed digital cameras. Our cameras are primarily sold into industrial, academic, defense and government research facilities. We also have a smaller entertainment oriented camera business. Although not our primary focus, Vision Research has received both an Academy Award and an Emmy for our technical contribution to the entertainment industry. To learn more about Vision Research, Phantom cameras and to get a good idea of the type of images we can collect please go to www.phantomhighspeed.com.
AMETEK, Inc. is a leading global manufacturer of electronic instruments and electromechanical devices with 2015 sales of $ 4 billion.
AMETEK has over 15,000 colleagues at more than 120 manufacturing locations around the world. Supporting those operations are more than 100 sales and service locations across the United States and in 30 other countries around the world.
AMETEK is a New York Stock Exchange-listed company (ticker symbol: AME) and a recent addition to the S&P 500. We strive to recognize, appreciate, and value diversity within our corporate culture. AMETEK Vision Research provides a full benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability, and 401(k) with company match. We have a casual work environment. AMETEK Vision Research is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V
Application Engineer, Machine Vision
The role of machine vision focused Application Engineer is a critical role for the growth of the company. Provide application expertise support to business development and sales teams to help contribute to a positive pre-sales experience for prospects and existing customers alike. Provide application expertise and field experience within our Wayne NJ HQ. Phantom cameras will be implemented into complex machine vision systems – interaction with technically educated OEM, integrators and end users to problem solve complex and challenging situations. The position will involve a high degree of travel. This role is suited to a confident and organized professional, who has worked in a similar high technology company.
The ideal candidate will have a technically sound background with the ability to communicate at a very high technical level while also being able to translate to the layman. Enjoy working with customers to solve complex problems as well as product management and engineering teams to determine future road map development.
The job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Support business development and sales team to further the development of sales and contribute to a positive pre-sales and after-sales experience for prospects and existing customers alike. Conduct customer consultations, pre-sales feasibility studies, product field trials and general support.
• Provide technical advice regarding the use of our high-speed machine vision cameras and their integration in the customers’ systems, experiments and test setups to help our sales team, our channel-partners/distributors, integrators as well as customers understand why our products are the best fit for their needs.
• Customer on-site visit and demonstrations to provide training and gathering application information including feature functionality specifications and technical issues. Travel may also include tradeshow activities.
• Think out of the box and imagine / design new technical solutions to customer cases and technical situations, using our products along with existing and new 3rd party products.
• Gather information regarding the variety of machine vision situations where Phantom streaming high-speed cameras may be used to continuously build application engineering expertise. This knowledge will be used in sales activities to capitalize on existing customer references as well as internally to provide input data for business development activities. This includes pre- and post-sale customer visits, technology watch, attending and speaking at technical conferences and seminars.
• Provide input to Product Marketing, Engineering and Operations teams to help direct the development of new products that reflect market trends and customer needs.
• Provide reporting regarding application engineering activities, technical market trends and customer feedback.
• Contribute to marketing activities by providing technical material to our factory Marketing department (knowledgebase articles, application notes, success stories, sample videos, etc…) to help build the Phantom brand.
B.S. degree, preferably in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering. MS / MBA is a plus.
5-7 years’ experience working in a fast-paced technological environment.
3-5 years of experience in C, C++, or other object-oriented programming language
Existing knowledge and experience with machine vision systems is required. High speed imaging experience would be highly desirable.
o Knowledge of various digital camera interfaces including CoaXPress, IEEE-1394, USB2, USB3, CameraLink, and Gigabit Ethernet
o Experience in third party image acquisition or processing software
o Experience setting up complex camera systems
o Knowledge of optics and/or lighting for machine vision applications
o Knowledge of basic machine vision techniques and applications
Capacity to learn fast and build / maintain expertise based on very diverse field activities.
Excellent teaching / training skills, to be able to “popularize” high speed imaging for people not familiar with this technology.
Capacity to be autonomous, think out of the box and be creative when facing difficult or unusual situations.
Ability to travel relatively extensively both domestically and internationally.
Excellent customer relation skills and good team player.
Technical knowledge of digital imaging, camera technology, optical systems is required.
Existing knowledge of high speed imaging systems highly desirable.
Good English oral and written communication skills are required.
US Citizenship required.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.